Thursday, January 23, 2014

Death and All It Entails

     Hey guys. Today's topic is going to be a little depressing. Like I said in my first post, I'm going to be writing about things that occur in daily life. Sadly, death is one of those inevitable occurrences. I learned my classmate's father passed away today, and it got me thinking about how much of an impact death has on a person. I mean, think about. What has the equivalent power that death has?
   When I was little, I used to wonder why so many people worried and basically obsessed about death. Now I understand. Death is the ultimate unknown. No one knows what will happen after death, and one thing almost everyone agrees upon is that humans hate not knowing. We all crave control and knowledge. So to compensate for our lack of control over death, we worry about it. Plan for it. Anything to gain insight or peace of mind. 
   Personally, I've never experienced a close family death, so I have no sense of how I will react if someone close to me dies. I imagine I will be one of those people that never recovers, but I hope I'm not. Hopefully, I will be able to process death in a healthy way. That brings me to the other subject I wanted to talk about: How to deal with death healthily. Now you may be wondering how I could even contribute to this subject when I've never experienced it. What I did was talk to a few family members and friends to see what they had to say about it. So I'm not just spewing randomness. 
   The most important thing to know is that any feelings you have about death are normal. Everyone reacts completely different to a tragedy. Some people become overwhelmed and cry, while some people shut down and don't cry. So don't feel upset with yourself if you don't cry or become hysterical. I would also advise you avoid trying to rationalize the death. Death doesn't make sense, and it never will. I cannot stress that enough. You could spend a lifetime thinking of reasons why it should/shouldn't have happened. The best thing I can think of to do is to just let yourself accept it as soon as possible. Accept it happened, and do your best to keep that person's memory alive. Think of the happy memories you enjoyed with the person. Who wants to be remembered by their death instead of their life? To wrap everything up, my final piece of advice is this: just process everything in a way that you feel comfortable with.





No comments:

Post a Comment