Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Revelation

  Today, I realized something very profound. I have been to Alaska two times. The first time, I was not very tan or "brown" because it was very cloudy and not sunny at all. The second time, I got very dark (in my standards) because it was a very, very sunny year for Alaska. You see, I'm part American Indian. Most of the year, you can barely tell, but in the summer, when I'm outside a lot, I get very tan.

  So on the way back from Alaska the second time, when I was very dark, I was "randomly" searched. By this I mean I was singled out of a long line and every single bit of my luggage was checked. No pocket was left unopened. I thought nothing of it at the time, but today, 6 months later, I got to thinking. I've been on 12 flights in my 16 years, and I have only been searched the one time I was darker than average.

  Now I know this could be just a coincidence, but it still has me shocked. It's one thing to hear about racial profiling, but it's another to be on the receiving end of it. I have a new look on this subject. I truly do. 

**Sorry for the short post guys! I really wanted to share this story with you. It's short but profound to me.**

No comments:

Post a Comment